The UK’s Department of Health has released a list of 25 unacceptable errors in the NHS, and warned that hospitals will be stripped of funding if they are found to be at fault.
After consulting health partners such as the NHS, health professionals, the Royal Colleges and the public, the department has extended the current list of eight serious preventable errors to 25.
The latest list includes events such as severe harm/death due to transfusing wrong type of blood, severe scalding and severe harm/death due to misidentifying patients by failing to use the standard wristband identification processes.
Health Secretary Andrew Lansley said the Government’s aim is to modernise the NHS so that people have the highest quality healthcare, and live healthier, independent lives.
We have identified 25 preventable incidents ‘never events’ which should never happen in a high-quality healthcare service and for which payment can be withheld across the NHS,
According to department, there were 111 “never events” last year. Medical errors of all kinds are estimated to cost the NHS around £2bn a year.
Notes to editors:
- BRENMOOR are UK based designers, manufacturers and suppliers of innovative patient identification solutions
- They supply over 70% of UK hospitals with patient identification products including their patented printed hospital bracelets and a range of hospital labels
- Recent product launches have included their MHRA compliant blood bag tag and hypoallergenic SKIN ID label
- They have partnerships with a number of medical supply companies in Europe, the Middle East and Africa to distribute BRENMOOR products to a wider audience
- All BRENMOOR products are designed to ensure that the right patient receives the right care and prevent deaths and injuries from misidentification
- All Patient ID products are available Direct from BRENMOOR, through NHS Supply Chain and from one of our Worldwide Distribution partners
A BRENMOOR printed hospital wristband is applied to a patient somewhere in the world every 4 seconds to ensure that they stay safe and remain positively identified!
Get in touch
For more information on the BRENMOOR range of products, to arrange a trial or to locate your local supplier call 0845 807 1090 or +44 (0) 1535 656 439 from overseas or contact us by email.
For samples of any of our Patient ID solutions please complete our sample request form.